Western and Central Africa
Eastern and Southern Africa
Eastern Europe and Central Asia
As frontrunners in trade strategy, ITC’s proven process results in a unique strategy tailored to a country’s profile, needs and goals.
ITC works with partner countries to develop unique strategies that are tailored to each country’s needs and goals. The steps to achieving export success are outlined below.
1. Assessment: In order to gain an understanding of the country's background, specialised audits are conducted. These assessments provide an understanding of the country's current position, performance and competitiveness. Existing development plans and strategies are reviewed to ensure consistency with existing government objectives.
2. Identification: ITC and partner countries work with policymakers, trade and investment support institutions, enterprises, and development partners to identify constraints that limit export development, and international market opportunities.
3. Prioritization: As resources are limited, prioritization is essential. Prioritization is done among sectors and within sectors to identify the best opportunities for sustainable economic growth. Prioritization is also done among key trade support areas as to benefit the whole economy.
4. Design and action planning: The design of a National Export Strategy results in an agreed Plan of Action between policy-makers, institutions, enterprises and civil society. This Plan of Action is detailed, and sets targets and timelines, allocates for activities and assigns implementers.
5. Implementation: To ensure the strategy is implemented, ITC's assistance continues after the design of the National Export Strategy is completed through our strategy implementation management programme. ITC provides tools and support to allow countries to strengthen institutional capacities, guide implementation and manage resources.
Leveraging ITC's state-of-the-art analytical toolsOur strategy design process leverages the wide variety of tools developed and maintained by ITC. These tools enable our strategy specialists to provide state-of-the-art analysis to our clients. Many of the tools ITC maintains are used by private sector consulting firms and other international organisations. These tools include:
If you would like to learn more about ITC's Trade Development Strategies, please contact us.
Enquiries should be directed to:
Chief, Trade Development Strategies Programme+41 (0)22 730-0588said[at]intracen.org
National Export Strategy - Myanmar
National Export Strategy - Sri Lanka