Export Impact For Good

Countries / Territories


          European Communities-Cariforum Economic Partnership Agreement   


    Engineering and Architectural Services


      A Caribbean business can establish a practice in any EC country to provide the following: 


    Engineering Services*


    Integrated EnfineeringServices** 




    Urban Planning adn Landscape Architectural Services


    * Includes: a) advisory and consultative engineering services; b) engineering design services for the construction of foundations and building structures, mechanical and electrical installations for buildings, the construction of civil engineering works and for industrial processes and production; c) other engineering services during the construction and installation phase; and d) other engineering services.

    ** Includes integrated engineering services: a) for transportation infrastructure turnkey projects; b) and project management services for water supply and sanitation works turnkey projects; c) for the construction of manufacturing turnkey projects; and d) for other turnkey projects.

    *** Includes: a) advisory and pre-design architectural services; b) architectural design services; c) contract administration services; d) combined architectural design and contract administration services; and e) other architectural services.

    These opportunities are subject to:

    • General reservations1


    Country specific reservation

    • Bulgaria: For projects of national or regional significance, foreign investors have to act in partnership with or as subcontractors of local investors.

    • Latvia: For architectural services, 3 years projecting experience in Latvia and university degree are required to obtain a licence for business activities with full range of legal responsibility and rights to sign a project.


        A Caribbean business can obtain visas for staff from the Caribbean to work in the practice (their commercial presence) in Europe: 


      Key personnel (e.g. managers and specialists) and graduate trainees on intra-corporate transfers for a period of up to 3 years.


      Senior staff responsible for establishing a commercial presence for 90 days in any 12-month period. 


      New graduate trainees for one year.


    These opportunities are subject to:

    • General reservations2


    Country specific reservation


      Bulgaria: Foreign specialists must have experience in the field of construction of at least 2 years. Applies economic needs test3 for graduate trainees. The number of transferred staff is not to exceed 10% of the average annual number of the European citizens employed. If the company has less than 100 employees, the number of transferred staff may exceed 10% with authorisation.

      Estonia: At least one responsible person (project manager or consultant) must be resident in Estonia.

      Greece, Hungary, Slovak Republic: Residency required.



        Contractual Service Suppliers4 and Independent Professionals5 can travel to Europe to provide engineering and architectural services in all EC countries.

    These opportunities are subject to:


      The terms and conditions as outlined in the introduction to this guide.

      Economic needs test applies in:
      Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Germany, Finland, Hungary, Lithuania, Romania, and Slovak Republic;
      Spain, Italy and Poland for independent professionals;
      Latvia for contractual service suppliers;
      Belgium, except when contractual service suppliers annual wage is above the amount defined by relevant laws and regulations;
      Denmark for contractual service suppliers who stay up to 3 months;
      Austria for contractual service suppliers and independent professionals providing planning services.

      Finland: The person must demonstrate that (s)he possesses special knowledge relevant to the service being supplied.

      Hungary: Residency required.


    Mutual Recognition of Licensing and Qualifications:

    In order to provide services in another country, a person's qualifications or business' licensing needs to be recognised in that country. The Agreement establishes a process for the private sector, through its relevant professional bodies, to negotiate the terms for mutual recognition of qualifications and licensing requirements.The Agreement requires the relevant professional bodies for the professional services sector to begin negotiations with counterparts in Europe within 3 years. The professional bodies will then make recommendations to the CARIFORUM-EC Trade and Development Committee, who will finalise the mutual recognition agreements.

    4. A Caribbean business can provide the following services from their home country to clients in Europe:


      Engineering and Integrated Engineering services in Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Slovak Republic, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

      Architectural and Urban Planning services in Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Slovak Republic, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

      Landscape Architecture services in Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Romania, Slovak Republic, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.


    These opportunities are subject to:

    Architectural Services and Urban Planning and Landscape Architectural Services: 


      Germany: Application of the national rules of fees and emoluments for all services that are performed from abroad. 

      A Caribbean business can also provide engineering, integrated engineering, architectural, urban planning and landscape architecture services to European consumers within the Caribbean.

      Caribbean business may have new opportunities where foreign investment has been liberalised for the engineering and architectural services sectors in the following countries:


    Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, St Christopher and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, and Trinidad and Tobago.


    1General reservations:
    i) Limitations on the acquisition of land and real estate (in Austria, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Spain, Greece, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Latvia, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovak Republic, and Slovenia).
    ii) Limitations requiring local citizenship or residency of senior management or Board of Directors (in Estonia, Finland, Italy, Romania and Sweden).
    iii) Limitations on the type of business e.g. limited liability company, limited partnership in Poland.
    iv) Limitations on the type of investment e.g. a maximum percentage for foreign shareholding or voting rights (in Bulgaria, France, Finland and Italy).
    v) Registration, licensing and qualification requirements apply in all EC countries.
    vi) The scope of operations of a representative office may only encompass advertising and promotion of the foreign mother company represented by the office (in Bulgaria, Poland).
    2 General Reservations:
    i) Austria: managing directors of a company have to be resident in Austria. The person responsible for compliance with the Austrian Trade Act must be resident in Austria.
    ii) Finland: imposes nationality and residency requirements for the managing director of a company.
    iii) France: authorisation for foreign managers takes into consideration the availability of local managers. The managing director needs specific authorisation if not the holder of a residence permit.
    iv) Hungary: applies economic needs test for graduate trainees.
    v) Romania: requires a company's auditors and their deputies to be Romanian.
    vi) Sweden: requires the managing director of a company to reside in Sweden.
    3 An economic needs test is a measure used by regulatory authorities to limit the new entry of service suppliers into a market by taking into account the existing local capacity.
    4 Employees of a Caribbean company that does not have a commercial presence in Europe but which does have a contract to supply services in an EC country.
    5 A self-employed professional who has no commercial presence in Europe but who has a contract to supply services in an EC country.