Western and Central Africa
Eastern and Southern Africa
Eastern Europe and Central Asia
Article 1 : Request for technical expertise
1. The party requesting a technical expertise shall submit its
Request to the Secretariat of CEPANI by registered mail.
2. The Request shall mention the purpose and the nature of the
technical expertise and be submitted together will all relevant
Article 2 : Appointment of the expert
1. The Appointments Committee or the Chairman of CEPANI shall
appoint an expert or a committee of experts as agreed by the
parties or, in the absence of such an agreement, by taking into
account the importance and the complexity of the case in
2. The parties shall define the expert's mission. Failing this,
or if the wording of the mission is likely to create difficulties,
the Appointments Committee or the Chairman of CEPANI shall define
the expert's mission after having summoned and heard the parties
3. The Secretariat of CEPANI shall send the file to the
expert(s) as soon as the advance provided under Article 4,
paragraph 1, hereinafter will have been paid by the parties or by
one of them.
Article 3 : Duties of the expert
1. After having duly heard the parties, the expert shall proceed
with his appraisal in accordance with his mission.
2. The parties shall take part in the expertise proceedings,
either in person or through a representative. They may be assisted
or represented by counsel.
3. The parties shall in every way assist the expert in carrying
out his mission, namely by providing him with the necessary
documents and giving access to the sites where his verifications
and investigations need to be carried out.
4. Unless otherwise agreed, the findings and conclusions of the
expert shall be binding on the parties just as the terms of their
Article 4 : Costs of the technical expertise
1. The costs of the technical expertise shall include the
expert's costs and fees as well as the administrative expenses of
the Secretariat of CEPANI.
2. When opening the file, the Secretariat of CEPANI shall
determine the amount of the advance needed to cover the costs of
the technical expertise, due regard being given to the
circumstances of the case.
Unless otherwise agreed, the parties shall contribute equally to
3. The final costs of the technical expertise shall be
determined by the Secretariat of CEPANI at the end of the expert's
investigations, and shall be borne equally by each of the parties,
unless otherwise agreed by them.
Any other expenses shall be borne by the party who incurred
Article 5 : Notifications and communications
All notifications and communications made in pursuance of these
Rules shall be valid if they are made by delivery against receipt,
by registered mail, by courier, fax or any other means of
telecommunication that proves their dispatch. Such notifications
shall be valid if dispatched to the address or last known address
of the addressee.
Article 6 : Rules of good conduct for experts
Only those persons who are independent of the parties and of
their counsel and who comply with the rules of good conduct set out
in Schedule II, may serve as experts in technical expert appraisal
proceedings organised by CEPANI.